About Shine 2014 School Media Awards
The Shine School Media Awards are designed to encourage team working by pupils to produce a school magazine, newspaper, newsletter, digital edition or website and to:
- Encourage an interest in developing publishing skills in young people, helping them to improve literacy, nurture creativity, develop commercial and business skills, encourage teamwork and develop leadership skills
- Raise awareness and understanding of the skills required by the media and graphic arts industries, such as commercial awareness, leadership, editorial flair, circulation strategy and design and production and encourage school-leavers to consider the media and graphic arts industries as a career choice
- Raise awareness of the importance of respecting copyright and the ownership of intellectual property. CLA is aware copyright can be confusing so they have put together this quick (and jargon-free) guide for students downloadable at http://schools.cla.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/4.3.-the_student_guide_to_copyright.pdf
- Develop an informed awareness of the need for sustainable strategies to address environmental issues
- Promote interaction between departments within schools, including English, Art & Design, Business Studies and IT, interaction with the local community and between pupils, teachers and the wider business community
- Recognise achievement and reward winning entries at a special gala awards ceremony at Stationers’ Hall in London on Monday 23 June 2014
Quark offers all entrants five-user six month trial licences for QuarkXPress 9 in order to help schools produce their entry and as a sponsor they are offering all category winners a Full School site-licence worth worth some inclusive of VAT as a prize.
Build an entry to the Shine 2014 School Media Awards into your curriculum for the coming year and with a Quark system you can offer your students the industry-standard tools they need to create impressive portfolios of integrated print, Web and Flash design – without having to learn code!
Supported by BBC Worldwide and the Hearst Corporation along with the TES as Media Partner and Quark Systems as Technology Partner, the awards are organised by The Stationers’ Foundation, the charity arm of the 600-year-old Stationers’ Company, one of the great Livery Companies of the City of London, in association with the industry bodies for magazines and regional and local newspapers, the PPA and the Newspaper Society, and training body Skillset.
We have added a Learning Resource, still in process of development, to our website which gives help with understanding what copyright is about, developing an environmental and sustainability policy and conducting video interviews.
Entries should be submitted by 4 April 2014, with judging taking place in April/May and the Awards Ceremony will be at Stationers’ Hall in the City of London on Monday 23 June 2014.